Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Maternidade Dr Alfredo da Costa

A Maternity Hospital might seem a strange post but a few days ago, I was walking down the Fontes Pereira de Melo Avenue and, although I know the place for “centuries” (my sister was born there), I noticed how nice that building is. The Maternity was inaugurated in 1932 and was built over an old temple. About 6000 lisboners give birth there every year.

See it in Google Maps

5 Comments:

Blogger Nikon said...

Very nice shot, Carlos. The hospital has a nice pastel color to it.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Hi Carlos. How are you doing? It's my visit/post day - too rare now, but just can't be helped.
It's true, a nice façade on the front. But have you ever been around the back, where the entrances are? Something different indeed. And some strange practices, from my persepctive, regarding fathers-to-be at check-up time. "KEEP OUT!". Do you remember the Timor protests back in Sept 1999? This garden was one of the main centres of protest wasn't it? Because of the UN offices on the left of the picture, next to the Sheraton. Last memory: driving in where you sshot this from and being deluged by giant Greek flags held by Greek fans stayiong in the hotel on the morning of the Euro 2004 final. And there joy when I spoke to them in Greek through my car window. They had naturally thought I was a Tuga!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also born at this hospital, in 1968 (good year indeed). Just a curiosity, the latest statitistics reports, says that more than 50% of people who live in Lisbon and in the neighborood was born there.
Regards
João Proença

11:11 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Carlos??????
Have you turned into Vasco da Cama?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Hello my friends,
A dusty home remodeling forced me to disconnect every electrical device at home. The result was one week dinning fast food and no web access… don’t know what’s worst LOL.

Paul,
The color was exactly what attracted me.

Stew,
When I took the photo I remembered precisely the Timor protests cause at the time I had an office nearby. Please, don’t remind me Euro 2004 :)

João,
Well, 1968 was a reasonable year but, as you should know, 1967 is still the reference. LOL

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home