Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Panteão Nacional

The Church of Santa Engrácia is a 17th century monument converted into the National Pantheon in the 20th century. The construction of the current building began in 1681 and it substituted previous collapsed churches dedicated to Saint Engrácia (a martyr of the city of Braga). When João Antunes, the royal architect, died in 1712, King D.João V concentrated his efforts in the Convent of Mafra and the church was left unfinished until the 20th century (the dome was added in 1966). This is the reason why the expression "Obras de Santa Engrácia" (Saint Engrácia's works) became a Portuguese synonym for long unfinished works. The personalities buried here include the Presidents Manuel de Arriaga, Teófilo Braga, Sidónio Pais and Óscar Carmona, writers Almeida Garrett and Guerra Junqueiro and fado singer Amália Rodrigues. There are cenotaphs to Luís de Camões, Nuno Álvares Pereira and Vasco da Gama, among others. This picture of the Phanteon dome was taken from Portas do Sol Square in Alfama in a July afternoon.

See it in Google Maps

10 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

Hi Carlos, I'm glad for your comment cause it gave the chance to see your blog, which I didn't know yet. I've been to Lisbon and Porto a few years ago, both great places.
The novel you mention, Páginas da Vida, will be over by the end of this week. Next week a new one begins. Well, I won't tell you the end!!

Olá Carlos, obrigada pelo seu comentário, assim pude conhecer seu blog também. A novela que você mencionou chega ao fim essa semana, mas fique tranquilo pois não vou te contar o final!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Ame said...

Hi Carlos!

Nice shot! Interesting seeing such old buildings and then you look off to the right and see the new bridge...is that the one in your earlier shot?

I think Lisbon is looking more and more like a neat city to visit...you never know...might be on our itinerary for next year!

Have a good one!
=)x

11:10 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Beautiful shot. I like the yellow wall in the sun.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Nikon said...

Carlos, glad to see that the sun has come out....nice warm glow to the photo.
We have the Braga Bridge about 30 minutes from here leading into Fall River, MA.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Ame said...

Hey Carlos! Me again, are you tired of my face yet? LOL! ;)))

You're so funny & sweet...thanks for egging me on...that's really dangerous! ;)

Better start preparing NOW...the place will NOT be the same once I'm there...promise!

Be very afraid!

HEEHEE! =)
xo

PS: Does Portugal have good red wine? I love Cabernet...just ask "Nikon!" Poor thing! ;)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jay Taber said...

This is a nice perspective in all senses of the term. The Pantheon was one of my favorite locations when visiting your city.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

AAaaaaaaaah, you got it in the late afternoon light - the best time from the São Vicente side (olhar do insider!).

I miss it all!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Ame said...

Carloooooooooooooooooos!!!

You're too sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! You'd really send me a bottle of "red?" Aaaawwwww...I'm touched...really!

And of course I have to return the favor...what would you like me to send YOU!

Email me...amythe@yahoo.com

Take care of yourself!

=)))

11:21 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Carlos, I just saw that I have a similar photo of a cable car in Alfama (post de 20 de janeiro) that I took when I visited the city!

Acabei de perceber que tenho uma foto parecida com a sua do elétrico em Alfama da época em que visitei Lisboa! Boas lembranças!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Memories Catcher said...

Excelente foto.Gosto da composição e da luminosidade.
Blog interessante.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home