Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

25 de Abril Bridge (also in a foggy day)

In 1953 a government commission started working in a proposal to build a bridge over the Tagus River. The process went ahead and the winner of the international bid was a consortium headed by the United States Steel Export Company. The construction began on 5th November 1962 and 45 months later, on the 6th August 1966, the bridge was inaugurated. The bridge was built by the American Bridge Company (part of the winning consortium) and eleven local companies. At the time of its completion, the bridge was the world's largest suspended bridge outside the USA and had the world's longest continuous truss and deepest foundation. The 25 de Abril Bridge is often compared to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco because it was built by the same company and because it is located near a tectonic fault in an area with a long history of earthquakes.




For the sharp eye...



See it in Google Maps

11 Comments:

Blogger Ame said...

Hi Carlos! Yeah, I see the similarities to the GGB! =) But ya know what? I almost like your Vasco one better...different, more modern architecture for a change!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Oh, man, what is happening to you, Carlos. These are just fantastic! Did you get a new camera, or a new eye or something? Such rich atmosphere.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boa Carlos, not even with my "clinical technicolor eye" (that is good) i can do better, congratulations for the improvement
João Proença

1:24 PM  
Blogger Nikon said...

Hi Carlos,
You put yourself in the right spot again to get the composition beautifully.
Really nice!
Paul

8:59 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Ame,
Vasco da Gama is indeed elegant, besides, it's a mix of several styles.

Meg,
It's all your imagination. I don't know what you see but I see the Queensboro in the 59th and Mariel Hemingway (instead of Diane Keaton) seated with Woody Allen.

JP,
I didn't know you had a clinical technicolor eye LOL! But if you do, tell me... what do you see?

Paul,
I just pressed the button. Unfortunately I ran out of color film :)

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see things...like King Sebastian(yeah that's him) runnig down A2 and crossing the tagus (or Salazar) bridge, in this foggy day to save the contry.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Nikon said...

Hi Carlos,
That is a film shot? What were you using(film & camera)?
Mariel who?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Just kidding Paul,
Took it with my Exilim and later converted it to B&W with PS.
Mariel who? I don't know any Mariel :)
Up at 6AM?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Nikon said...

Hi Carlos,
Yeah, up at 6AM - it's called PANIC :)
Not to make this a movie quiz, but in "Manhattan" it's the Queensboro Bridge, & "Annie Hall" he's with Keaton under the Manhattan Bridge?
(Converted to B&W with PS - sounds like code.)Did PS have the microfilm? I've been up too long.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anhhhnn....medo...brrr!!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grande fotografia!!! O enquadramento está excelente, e a captação de um ambiente difuso e de neblina, está de mestre. Olha, talvez uma das melhores fotos quejá vi tuas!!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home