Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Praça do Comércio

The Praça do Comércio (Commerce Square) is located near the Tagus River and is commonly known as Terreiro do Paço (Palace Square), because it was the location of the Royal Ribeira Palace. In 1755 the great Lisbon Earthquake followed by tsunami and fire destroyed most of the city including the Palace. King José I's Prime Minister, the Marquês de Pombal, coordinated a massive rebuild that gave the square a regular rational arrangement in line with the new Pombaline Downtown (Baixa).
The Augusta Street Arch was only finished in the 19th century. In the top there are sculptures by Calmels representing Glory crowning Genius and Value. The lower, by Vitor Bastos, are Nuno Álvares Pereira, Viriato, Vasco da Gama and Marquês de Pombal.


The bronze statue of King José I was the first monumental statue dedicated to a King in Lisbon and was designed by Joaquim Machado de Castro, Portugal's most important sculptor of the time.




See it in Google Maps

10 Comments:

Blogger Icarus said...

Pretty as ever! Just like I remember it :-(( [*lágrimas*]

9:40 PM  
Blogger Jay Taber said...

My memory fails me. Is this where the 25 April celebration took place in 1999? It was dark and there was a lot of dancing and music followed by an audio/visual light show and somber reflection.

Our first week in Portugal and Europe, and our most memorable.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Nikon said...

What a beautiful series, Carlos! Great color, composition, subjects - a really good job.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shots Carlos, I see that you stay in shape, and improving your skils post by post.
My Congratulations.

João Proença

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ame said...

Very impressive architecture Carlos!

Beautiful buildings....blue sky...lots of open space...like it!

Can't wait for my "red!"

=)))

2:06 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

I have a picture I took in front of this square! Your photos brings back great memories of when I went there to meet my friend who lives in Porto.
I think I took an electrico there!

1:37 AM  
Blogger Jay Taber said...

I just discovered Madrugadas, a documentary filmed on the Praca do Comercio the night we were there. Now I have to see if I can locate a copy that will play in the US.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Carlos, I believe you when you say our flag is very familiar to you. When I visited Portugal I was very touched by the sweetness of the people. They were all so nice and always wanted to talk about something concerning brasilian culture. You're a lovely people!

3:05 AM  
Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Carlos so now you have blown my cover! he he they all think i'm famoso now! What a detective you are. Great photos, i love your country.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Glauce said...

Nice to read about your city's history... We learn so much about Marques de Pombal in school, but always from a Brazilian's perspective...
Beautiful shots as well... Look forward to more pictures... and more history ! :)

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home