Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

October 5th, 1910

In the October 5th, 1910 a revolution deposed King Manuel II and established the Portuguese First Republic. In fact, it all started the day before in Loures when a group of 8 persons appointed by the people proclaimed the republic and hoist the Republican flag. The new green and red flag (the Republican colors) was created in that same year and replaced the two versions of the previous blue and white flags (here and here).



note: although it was only applied “auto levels”, after uploaded, the image shows some previously inexistent pixilated effect in both sizes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jay Taber said...

you have a nice consulate in San Francisco, but most the Portuguese speakers we meet are from Brazil. We've seen two of your Fado singers though, and still dream of ovos moles.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Well, I was so curious to see what Portelini wrote that took up so much space that I found an online translater. It was a pretty crude translation, but I think I got the gist - that he doesn't think the exposure is right, and doesn't like the framing. I disagree on both points. (Sorry, Carlos, if you don't speak English - maybe Mile Stone can help translate!) I like the positining of the flag in such a way that it breaks up the sky into very interesting shapes. And while the green part of the flag is quite dark, the red has a wonderful glow to it. If you have Photoshop CS you can try to bring up the shadows a touch, but I wouldn't play with it too much! Anyway, I never say "nice pic, awesome" unless I really mean it (if I don't like it, I just don't say anything.) So, nice pic, awesome!

1:49 AM  
Blogger marjan hols reis photography said...

Hi it is great to get a free photography lessen in the blog.
The bit of the sky I do not understand, I like the contrast.
Carlos swallow and go on it is what I do every day in this busniss

3:46 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Thank you all for your comments. I'm only replying now cause it has been a hard week with some pretty long workdays. I wanted to say that I consider myself very lucky: I live in a time where, from my desk, I can meet amazing people from across the world. Last week I had the privilege to meet Stewart in person, who is, not only a great blogger, but also an excellent person (btw, he did the miracle of making me almost look good in a pic).

Here are several people with different opinions: Pedro (portellini) wouldn't take the picture as I did but that's no drama. I'm glad Jenny and Marjan liked them cause, if I went there again, I'd take it the same way.

Spartacus O'Neal, will we "lisboetas" see you soon back in Portugal?
Pedro, I want to keep hearing from you
Jenny it must be great to live in such a beautiful countryside at the same time so close to NY
Marjan, your pictures almost have sound...

2:41 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I went to Paul's Paris, and then I went to his other one and lo, I found James Joyce. And that's where I spent my Saturday morning. Thanks for the pointer.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home