Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pavilhão Atlântico

The Atlantic Pavilion was built for the World-Wide Exhibition of Lisbon 1998. It is a project of the Portuguese architect Regino Cruz associated with an international projectors company: Skidmore, Owing & Merril (Olympic Stadium in Manchester and Berlin, big sporting pavilions in USA like Portland, Philadelphia, Oakland or Minneapolis).

"Atlantic Pavilion shape reminds a spaceship… but its shape is also like a horseshoe crab, a species that appeared 200 millions years ago. A mixture between a marine animal and a spaceship, this shape deserved a structure that supported physically and symbolically its meaning. That’s how it came up the idea of a timbered structure to sustain the roof, resembling the inverted 16th century vessel hull. In a World Exposition that was dedicated to the Oceans and Portuguese Maritime Discoveries, the wood better than the steal or concrete was the ideal raw material."

The Pavilion has capacity for 20.000 persons and was inaugurated on November 10th, 1998 with a Massive Attack concert.
Events such as the MTV Europe Music Awards (2005), the Tennis Masters Cup Lisbon 2000 and concerts of Madonna, Shakira, REM, Eric Clapton, Coldplay, Robbie Williams, Ben Harper and Prince (among others) took place there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jay Taber said...

Interesting commentary. That and your clean style make your site unique.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Hi Spartacus O'Neal. Thank you for your visit. The part between commas was extracted from the official web site.

About your previous comment on Basilica da Estrela asking if Da Gama's tomb was there let me explain. A couple of weeks ago I visited Panteão Nacional (in the neighborhood of the flea market you mentioned) for the first time (I know, I should a shame) and there's indeed a tomb with his name but it's a Cenotaph, a monument erected in honour of a person whose body is elsewhere.

This is great cause having the blog is making me learn lots of interesting things about my city.

Regards

9:37 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Congratualtions, Carlos! You have attempted here what must be one of the most difficult buildings to photograph in the entire country. It is so big, practically impossible to get a good shot of all of it, with details and without disturbance. A real desafio, don't you agree?
I like best playing with the reflections on the entrance doors up the stairs.
So weird! That's the way, no rules!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Nikon said...

Hi Carlos,
Good to see you back with a great photo.
That is quite a building, astonishing, really, & the color is so different.
Thank you for the John Dos Passos comment. I knew that he was Portugese but I didn't know he was from Madeira.
Many people think that he was better than Hemingway as a writer and ,if not, at least as an adventurer. He is a fascinating man.
Looking forward to more photos!
Paul

6:11 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Carlos & Paul, I know this is going off at a tangent, but I just followed the thread of Paul's remark back to his post on J. dos Passos and Carlos' comment.
How gratifying it was to read all that. What I quoted on my post 2 weeks ago was a phrase that has been with me since I first found it about 15 years ago. I was at the perfect time to use it in that way,that night.

It is, for me, a truth that burns. The more it is divulged, the more good it may do. It certainly cannot make things worse in the world. So this interchange between you two was a positive surprise, for which I am grateful to both of you. A person who can write that is also clearly someone with a giant heart.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here lisbonweeklyphoto.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Research shows that closely 90% of all U.S. grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,
Nice piece of information you have here.this post is helpful and informative.
Atmosphere in Bangalore |Auditoriums in Bangalore

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home