Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Basílica da Estrela

Basilica da Estrela’s construction, between 1779 and 1790, was ordered by the Queen D.Maria I (known as The Merciful One) as a fulfillment of a promise. She promised to build a church if she would have a son man to inherit the throne. The child, however, would not live to see it because he would die of variola (smallpox) 2 years before its completion. The top offers one of the best views over Lisbon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Icarus said...

Muitos parabéns, Carlos!
A top shot of one of Lisbon's Crown Jewels!

You do not need any ideas or help from me,honestly! Viva Excilim!!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Jay Taber said...

Is Da Gama's tomb there? I remember a neighborhood flea market outside if this is the same church.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Carlos said...

Nowhere Man, you're just been kind. Viva a Exilim e as fotos Lisboeticas.

Spartacus O'Neal, the Vasco Da Gama tomb is not there. That's in Jeronimos (you can see it as the background on Nowhere Man's http://lisbon-looks.blogspot.com/ under the post "Remember When YOU Were 16?")

The church you mention has indeed a very similar dome but that must be the Church of Sta. Engrácia (Panteão Nacional) and the market is the "Feira da Ladra".

10:43 PM  
Blogger Manuel Tendero Gil said...

HOLA GRAN ILUMUNACION UN SALUDO

8:12 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Bom Sábado Carlos!
After I read your reply to Spartacus above, I quickly put together a set of Jeronimoses & posted last night!. Hard to choose. Very hard, with a limit of only 4!
Boas tiragens!!!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home