Lisbon Weekly Photo

The idea came up after visiting several “DailyPhoto” sites, particularly the one from Paris, which is my other favorite city. Since LisbonDailyPhoto was getting posts very irregularly, I decided to create this place. Although my skills and my Exilim Z110 are very limited, I hope to deserve your visit. Please leave your comments (any comments) so I can improve.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chiado

The mannequin, at Benetton's 1st floor, attentively observes Chiado Square through the window. Chiado is one of the tourist’s favorite spots in Lisbon and the locals are rediscovering it too, now that the devastating fire of 1988 is forgotten. The statue of the XVI century poet Antonio Ribeiro (nickname Chiado) is partially visible. The churches of Loreto (on the right) and Nossa Senhora da Encarnação (left) are also visible as the Camões Square and his statue at the back.

In a rain pause (that keeps falling for an entire week) a Tuna Académica is getting ready for another song. Tuna is the Portuguese name for a students' musical group (nothing to do with fish).
As stated before, the blogger's skills with the camera are limited, so he welcomes suggestions on what he should've done to enhance the quality of these pictures. The first photo was taken in house and the different light conditions in and out made it harder. Although the second was taken outside, the church still has some sharpness problems.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jay Taber said...

We listened to several tunas in the streets and cafes of Lisboa and Aveiro, and enjoyed them all very much.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I don't have any suggestions, as I leave it to my camera to do its job most of the time, but you do make Lisbon SO VERY attractive and I want to visit your fair city some day.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

I think those are slightly over exposure.
I’m not a professional so it might be wrong, but I will try shooting slightly under exposure (-1/3EV or so).
Some post process with editor like PhotoShop might rescue most of it.

Sharpen a little but not too much.
Add later to adjust level (start with auto option).
Burn the sky area might be interesting touch up.

Flash generally helps a shot from inside to bright outside shot.
And if your camera can adjust strength of flash, I will try small amount of light.
Taking few shots (3 to 5) for same scene with different setting will be helpful.

There is many way to improve your photo, I’m still leaning every day.
The post is have a fun from it and play with your photo editor, you will surprise what it can do for you.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Well, since you asked! The top photo is pretty good - I like the composition and the exposure isn't bad. You could try to bracket, like Ben said, or expose for the brightest areas (buildings/sky) then use Photoshop to bring up the shadows a bit. (If you use Picasa, it's hard to deal with a very contrasty scene - it can add contrast to a flat one, but not the other way around.) The one on the bottom, to me, is a problem with composition - I'd want you to get closer to the scene. Again you have a very dark subject with a very light background - it's tricky!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Carlos, between them, Ben & Jenny (if they don't make ice-cream, maybe they should open a photo-shop!:) )have just about got it. One other thing is that you & I both use almost identical cameras, so I know this problem. I have tried a lot of things to counter it, but mine at least is too automatic, with too many pre-set Best-Shot scenes for my liking. The only way I have found to get a better balance with a light background is to aim first at the background, so it reads the sky. Then, keeping your finger half-way down on the shutter, come back to your compostion subject and shoot. It can improve things a bit.
Until now, I have only ever seen my own pics from up there in Benetton. It was too good an opportunity to miss (also those strangee lights on the stairs and the best view there is of 'A Brasileira Café).
At first, i thought it was an artist painting the scene outside of Largo do Chiado!
I agree with Jenny about the Tuna. They got lost in the distance & the grey. Were you zooming?
It was a shame the weather was so grey. Good dica (tip) for inside Benetton: mid-morning, or late afternoon, and with a good sunlit day. Shall I blog what I did up there? And a different tuna or two? No, not Pingo Doce!!!(LOL!!) It would be like Antonio & Manuel do at their lake in Valencia, of the same garza, etc.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Nikon said...

Hi Carlos,
I'm not an artist, so I hesitate to mention composition. But.. I like the top photo's arrangement, & the bottom one is perhaps just a bit too far away, as Jen said.
You just had bad light - or grey on grey - to deal with.
Best,
Paul

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home